Thursday, February 26, 2009

Reaction 4: Woman on the War Front

Using the links I gave you last week, your text, and your VoF readings, take on the perspective of the personage you chose. You will need to produce a (750 word minimum) letter or diary entry, suitable for publication on your blog. While creativity is encouraged, your writing must be factual and show evidence that you’ve done your readings. You should reference any major events or legislation that would affect your character directly. (Woman on the home front or the war front)

February 20, 1918
Dear Mother and Father,
I hope this letter finds you both well. I am sorry that I have not found the time to write letters home more often. I am certain that you understand that my position, as a nurse in charge at our medical triage unit, keeps me very busy. That however, is no excuse not to write more often. Please accept my apology.

As you recall, before I left for France you reminded me that I am not a part of the United States military but a member of the American Red Cross. You also understood that my job meant that I must make sure that those injured by war, regardless of whether they are Allied or enemy, must receive the best possible medical attention available. I thank you for your faith and encouragement that I would do the job that I do the job I was sent here to do. I am comforted in knowing that the doctors and my fellow nurses share my same belief. The soldiers we treat, even the enemy soldiers, were all injured in the line of duty. That does not mean that we do not pray that this war will end soon.

I have enclosed the Florence Nightingale medal that I received yesterday. The medal is awarded periodically, by the International Committee of the Red Cross, to the most deserving nurses of all countries. It goes without saying that I was both honored and humbled. I wanted to share the medal with the two of you. This will serve as our mutual reminder that even in times of war, there is a need for some to be absolutely impartial and independent. This distinguished honor would not have been possible without your support.

I also want to thank you for sending those heavy winter stockings. Yes, it is still winter and the rainy season has arrived, but the stockings have made it more tolerable than last year. We still do not have floors in the medical tent. This means our white uniforms are muddy and our feet are wet, but we are comforted by each other. One of my nurses is trying to find wood so that we can install floors. Obviously this will benefit our patients as well as all of us. It will also help use keep the surgical tent a little more sterile.

We are still located twenty miles from the front lines. However, the exact location of the front lines remains unknown. I am starting to get used to hearing the sounds of artillery shells and it is no longer a shock. We are at a safe distance but close enough to treat the injuries as timely as possible. However, as times the numbers of injured soldiers is almost overwhelming and seemingly endless.

The horror of some of the injuries will be in my mind forever. The worst is the mustard gas. I hate seeing these sweet boys come in and cough up their lungs. Every time a soldier dies from the gas it tears at the hearts of the nurses attending the individual. I think it must be even worse for the doctors looking over the care of these soldiers. I am sure that the medical triage units much closer to the front lines have to see this more often than we do. At times seeing men die from the gas causes night terrors for some of my staff. Personally, when my shift is over I try to block the horror out of my mind. It is inconceivable that anyone could create a poison that would cause causalities of war in the form that it does. May God have mercy on the souls of the scientists who create such lethal weapons!

There is no question that war is a tragedy. I sincerely hope that the Allied forces will be victorious for the sake of democracy. However, the cost of this war in human life and suffering is incomprehensible. From that stand point, victory cannot be claimed. Human suffering and recovery will take many years after the war has ended. It is possible that some will never recover.

I hope everything at home is going well and I thank God everyday that this war is not being fought on American soil. Please do not worry because our medical team is safe. We hope that we will soon hear that the war is over. I look forward to the day that our conversations are once again in person and not mere letters. Please remember our captured soldiers in your prayers. We can only hope that they are being treated as humanely as we are caring for their soldiers.

With all the love I have,

Elizabeth

9 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're very creative. It was so hard for me to get in the same mind set as the individuals who wrote those letters. You seemed to have no problem. I like the amaount of detail in your letter it makes it very believable. Your transitions were cool and allowed the overall letter to flow very well. I learned that the women on the front dealt with many of the same horros as the men. Nice letter :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like the way you integrated the history with your story. It was seamless; very impressive.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like that you put a date on your heading. Description of the medical tent was good and the mustard gas made me sympathetic to the soldiers. Maybe reference to major events would be nice like The Espionage Act or Eugene Debs.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very well done. I liked how you interwove historical facts (from both in and out of class) while still sticking with the creativity of the assignment. It makes it seem more realistic and less like a writing assignment.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think this is a pretty good piece...good job with the details on the little things like florence nightingasle medal, certain committees, etc. I thought it was pretty good.

    ReplyDelete
  7. That was amazing! Your letter was so believable because the facts are so subtle yet meaningful! I really loved how you mentioned the socks and the Florance Nightingale medal. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your letter was very impressive :) I also was a woman but I chose to be on the homefront. While considering being a nurse on the warfront I saw many paths to take but you incorporated a lot more ideas that I hadn't considered. I learned new details about the war from the nurses standpoint from reading your letter. I think you did a great job on this prompt.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great letter, the Florence Nightingale medal was a great touch! The difficult things that she had to live with in the conditions they were forced to work in and the things she saw such as the soldiers effected by mustard gas are a lot for any person to handle, and it all seemed very believable in your letter.

    ReplyDelete